Since our inception in the fall of 2013, ArtRoot has:
- Formalized a vision statement (2014) and created an initial list of short, medium, and long-term tactics to realize the vision (2015). The tactics are being reviewed and updated in 2019.
- Inventoried the arts and culture resources in Racine and created a Wikipedia page (2014): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arts_and_Culture_Resources_in_Racine,_Wisconsin
- Initiated biannual ArtsMixers to enhance networking opportunities among area artists, arts professionals and arts advocates (2014). As of fall 2018, we have hosted 9 ArtsMixers with attendance ranging from 50 – 100 people.
- Worked with the Racine Arts Council to establish a Local Authors’ Lounge (2015) where poetry, fiction and art books featuring local writers and artists are showcased and available for purchase.
- Collaborated with Visioning a Greater Racine to organize a visioning session for Racine’s arts community. Over 50 artists, arts supporters, and representatives of local arts organizations attended the November 21, 2016 session held at the Racine Public Library.
- Developed a Writer-in-Residence program, beginning in January 2017, for local writers at the Racine Arts Council. Currently two writers are selected each year as residents for 6 months. Writers-in-Residence are provided with a stipend and work space at the RAC’s office and gallery. Five writers from Racine and Kenosha have been residents so far and are updating a weekly blog.
- Created a Facebook page to post information about art events and opportunities around town with the goal of fostering a diverse, engaged and interconnected community (2017).
- Partnered with Ask Me Why I Love Racine and UW Parkside beginning in 2017 to produce the first design in the Wall Poems of Racine project.
- Started an ArtRoot Welcome Wagon in 2017 to introduce creatives moving to Racine to the local arts community. The committee has welcomed 11 artists, curators and gallery directors to date.
- Compiled a comprehensive Resources Guide (2018). The guide, published on our website, includes information on funding, exhibition opportunities, residencies, work spaces and much more.
- Created and began distributing a promotional card to market visual and performing arts organizations and projects in Racine (2019).